Monday, October 14, 2013

Flashback: 2 years ago

I intended on posting this topic over the weekend and never found time...

After being out of town yesterday and today, I'm just now getting around to it! More to come about our extra long weekend including some fall d├ęcor, recipes, shopping and wedding deets/pictures!!!

So over the weekend, Michael and I started reminiscing about where we were in life the second weekend of October two years ago (2011).

We had been together for a year and a half. We lived 2 years apart. We had our fair share of struggles in our relationship and each one made us stronger, closer, deeper in love, and more definite that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together. It just seemed like it would never happen with our different life styles. I lived at home. I loved my job and had worked there since I've been out of high school. I was also attending college and preparing to compete in the Miss Michigan USA Competition. Michael, on the other hand, worked and worked and worked and had his own house to take care of when he was home from work. Not to mention his hobbies and family.

I didn't want to move in together. For many reasons.
1. I had moved in with a boyfriend before. Nothing good ever came of that. I told myself I wouldn't do it again unless marriage was in the near future.  
2. Marriage was not in our future. Michael always said he didn't have the money to buy a ring. He wanted to get married he said that from the first night he met me... but he always told me it would be a couple years down the road. Or so I thought.
3. Michael's house was sooooo far away from my friends, family, and job.
4. I had to remain a Marine City resident in order to compete in the pageant. And if I won, I wouldn't be able to move anyways. So I knew I had to stick it out until the competition.

Rewind a little bit... I said I lived at home... Which wasn't the home it always was. I grew up calling home where I lived with my mom, stepfather, and little sister. (My older brother lived there as well in between living at my Dad and stepmother's until he went in the military). Then my mom and stepfather split in 2010 and I stayed living with my stepfather and little sister. Until suddenly he didn't want me there anymore. He didn't want anything to do with me. Which forced Michael and I to have a discussion about the above concerns. I stuck it out the last couple months in a completely awkward living situation with a man who I considered a father for over 15 years and he no longer wanted me in his life. That's when we put all other reasons aside, discussed our future, and waited for the Miss Michigan pageant to be over. Either I won and I lived in Marine City for another year, or I didn't win and I moved and we started a life together!


Which brought us to October 2011. I competed in the pageant on October 1st. I unfortunately didn't win, however I do believe it was all part of God's plan for where I was destined to be in life. And that was with Michael. The very next day, I began packing my stuff and moving to Michael's. By the second weekend of October, I had officially moved in with Michael and my life changed forever. 

This here is where I have made a home with my amazing man the last two years! It may have been a rough adjustment (still is some days) and we definitely have had our trials and tribulations along the way, but I wouldn't change a thing!

When I moved in and we had agreed that we would get married some day sooner than later, I made Michael promise me that he wouldn't be one of those guys that would just never propose because we already lived together. You know, like that saying "Why bother buy the cow when your already milking it?" Haha. Little did I know, regardless of how everything worked out with me moving in, he already had a ring. He already planned on asking for my hand in marriage. And my (real) Dad already approved!

(Engagement story from 11/11/11 posted here)

Isn't it amazing how life leads you to exactly where your meant to be?! Michael and I couldn't believe that this past weekend we celebrated our third month of marriage as well as reminisced about the past couple years of starting our life together.

XO, Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment