Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Long Weekend & Shopping Spree!

It sure was a lovely long weekend around our home! We are loving this beautiful fall weather! The time off was even better! Michael was home Wednesday to Monday so I'm not sure if that's considered a weekend or a week... I was off Monday for Columbus Day which gave me a nice 3 day weekend! 

Friday night when I got home from work, we did some yard work until dark. I highly dislike how dark it gets so early. I cut corn stalks out of the garden to use for decoration around our house. It's nice to get multiple uses out of them! I also started pulling out the headless sunflowers. Have you ever tried pulling sunflower plants out of the ground? They are some strong, deep rooted, stiff, buggers. After doing half, I decided to save the rest of another day. By time I cut about 60 corn stalks and pulled some sunflowers, it was getting dark. 
Jack was creepin' while I was tying the stalks up to the shed poles 


After dinner, I decided to make my dish to pass for a BBQ we were attending on Saturday. That was I didn't have to worry about it on Saturday before we left. I made Buffalo Chicken Dip - per the hubby's request. He loves it! Really simple recipe too! All you need is:

1. 8 oz. cream cheese
2. 1/2 C Ranch Dressing
3. 1/2 C Buffalo Sauce
4. Chives (however many you like)
5. 12.5 oz canned chicken (I don't recommend the Great Value brand - very greasy!)
6. 8-12oz of Colby Jack shredded cheese (or mozzarella or whatever you like)

Mix all of the ingredients together.  Place in a baking dish. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until cheese on top of browned. Enjoy with tortilla chips, pita chips, or celery! 

*Suggestions - Before mixing the chicken in, I usually take a fork and shred it up a bit. Also, save a little cheese to put on top of the mix before baking. 
I doubled this recipe so that's why there is a large bag of cheese, two cans of chicken, and two packages of cream cheese. 

Saturday we headed outside bright and early to do some more yard work and such before we went to the BBQ. I finished pulling those dreaded sunflower plants out. Thankfully, Michael grabbed a shovel and helped me because some of them were impossible. I mean come on... look at the roots on them babies! 

The dogs enjoyed playing outside too. Or should I say Jack enjoyed it... cause lord knows Sandy would much rather be in bed! 

Did I mention Saturday was our 3 month mark of being married?! It was nice to spend the day together! We can't believe it's already been 3 months since the wedding!  

Sunday we unloaded some straw and pumpkins that we picked up from some friends. Thanks to the Weber's for all the beautiful pumpkins and thanks to the Mazure's for the straw bales! Jack of course had to find his way into the pictures as always!

We didn't get to complete all of our decor so as soon as I finish that up, I'll share some pictures. Do you decorate for fall? What's your favorite thing to decorate your home with? 

Sunday afternoon I headed down to my mom's because I didn't have to work for Columbus day on Monday! I was sad to leave home since Michael was actually home, although I was happy that he could stay home with the dogs and I didn't have to worry about them while I was there. On my way down, I met my photographer and picked up the picture discs from our wedding! So exciting! I've browsed through some of them but I haven't gotten to look closely or pick my favorites yet! There is 3 discs and a total of 1,200+ pictures! Wow! I can't wait to share them and document how the day went!  

And now for the real excitement from my weekend... Shopping Spreeeeee!!! I couldn't tell you the last time I went shopping and it wasn't for wedding stuff, groceries, or gifts for someone else! My mom and I had this day planned for a couple weeks now and I was really looking forward to it! We had a good time and I got lots of goodies! I even got some Christmas gifts already. I can't believe it's only 10 weeks away! Here is a sure sign of some successful shopping.... 

And this was our successful lunch... 

Hard apple cider beer is my fav right now! Twisted Rooster is one of my top fav restaurants. Their motto is "Commit to the Mitt". Everything is made/grown in Michigan. Very good food! Drinks too! 

Have you ever heard of or been to Charming Charlie's?! It's one of my favorites for jewelry and accessories! It's probably a good thing that the nearest one to my house is 3 hours away! Everything is organized by color. They even had a classy camo section! The current special going on was BOGO Free Clearance Items. Right up my alley!

In the end, it was a great day of shopping. I got a lot of things I wanted/needed. I made a point to only get sale items or use a coupon. Check out these couple of receipts that show the amount I SAVED! 
DSW - $82.09 SAVED!
Maurices - $25.49 SAVED!
Macys - $118.57 SAVED!

I also got some great clearance deals at Old Navy, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Hobby Lobby. 

Where is your favorite spots to shop?! 

I hope ya'll have a great week! 

XO, Julie 

No comments:

Post a Comment