Thursday, December 5, 2013

Christmas Traditions

button

It seems like there are some Christmas Traditions that always stay the same, and there are some that are still evolving now that we’re married and creating a life together. With living over a hundred miles away from my family, the holidays can be tough sometimes. Although, I really looking forward to creating and continuing our own Christmas Traditions as the years go on!

Today I’m sharing The Joy’s Christmas traditions for Holly and Amy’s linkup!

Holiday Movies
My ultimate favorite Christmas movies are The Miracle on 34th Street (not the original one, I think it’s from the 90’s) and The Grinch (cartoon style)! I try to keep an eye on Christmas movies playing on ABC Channel for any other good ones!

Local Activities
For several  years, I’ve participated in many parades in different cities for my work. We decorate a float and hand out goodies. Another important part of that tradition is spiked hot chocolate! Last year I made Michael helped pass out candy. Such a nice man! This year, we skipped out on it because it fell on Thanksgiving weekend and we had company over. The work float actually won 2nd place this year so that was neat! The theme was The 12 Days of Christmas and we did 12 Golden Rings. I’ve got to admit, I’m not very creative therefore all the credit goes to my coworkers!

Places we go!
I love going to Frankenmuth. The entire town is so cheerful and the decorations are awesome! (For those of you that may have read my previous two posts which included this topic, I apologzie!) It definitely puts you in the Christmas spirit. Also in Frankenmuth is a Christmas store called Bronner’s. It’s actually the largest Christmas store in the world. I could walk around there for hours, but of course Michael starts getting irritated. Especially when it comes to picking out a special personalized ornment. Frankenmuth is also known for an amazing chicken dinner. Love me some winner winner, chicken dinner! We typically walk the main street and check out all the little shops and watch the horse and carriages go by. Someday, I will get him to take me on one!
Michael and I at Bronner's last year 

Christmas light tours have always been my favorite since I was a child. I haven’t quite outgrown that. Big or small displays, I enjoy to see them all. As a matter of fact, the other night we passed some lights and Michael said in his sarcastic voice “Oooooooohhhhhhh Christmas lights”. In other words, he makes fun of my desire to look at Christmas lights.

Last year we started a new tradition that we I really enjoyed. There is a house in the middle of no where that has a million Christmas lights set up to go along with music. When you pull up in front of the house you tune into a radio station and it has a little description of the house and then plays music along to the display of lights. It’s really neat! I can’t image how much work it is to do that! I’m pretty sure last year we went there with a cooler of beer and sat in front of the house for 25 minutes. Amusing!
This is only half the display!

Some other random places we go is Christmas at the Farm with Michael’s family the Saturday before Christmas. It’s a bunch of food, eurche, jello shots, and drinks at the family farm house. My Mom’s side of the family gets together the Saturday after Christmas and we have appetizers and a nacho bar. No one on that side of the family likes to cook so we keep it simple. We also have a farm Christmas party for the farmers that Michael works for on the side throughout the year and my work also has a Christmas party where they take us and our spouses out for a nice dinner. Pretty traditional stuff there….

Christmas Eve Traditions
The last two years, Michael and I go to Candlelight mass at Church. Before church, we go to my Dad's house. Since my parents are divorced, we split up the days rather than running to a million places in one day... Ain't nobody got sanity time for that! For as long as I can remember, I’ve went to my Dad’s on Christmas Eve. We have dinner, drinks, play games, and exchange a couple gifts.

Up until a couple years ago when I lived at home, the highlight of my Christmas Eve was sharing the excitement with my little sister, Jasmine. I still do miss sharing that excitement with her.

Christmas Eve with my Dad 2012

Christmas Day Traditions
Before I became a big girl and moved out of my parents house, Christmas morning meant waking up at the crack of dawn to watch my little sis opening gifts and read a note from Santa. I’m not going to lie, the past 3 years without that haven’t quite been the same but I'm finally getting used to it.  Michael  and I have since then created our own tradition of sleeping in, exchanging gifts, giving the dogs a new toy and entertaining them for a while before going to Michael's Mom’s for the day. She cooks lots of food and we lounge around her house all day. We also do a Chinese gift exchange where everyone brings a small gift and we all draw numbers. We put the gifts in the middle of the room and whoever has the number 1 chooses a gift and so on. You can also steal a gift someone else opened if you really like it. It's really fun! There's always one gift that everyone fights over!
Christmas morning 2012

Future Traditions
Christmas cookie exchange
Ice skating in Detroit around the huge Christmas tree downtown
Christmas Tree Tour
Pajama Exchange for our little ones on Christmas Eve

Now that I’ve typed that all out, it sure does sound like a lot of Holiday traditions! Maybe that’s why this month always flies by so fast! Only 20 more days! Merry Christmas!


XO, Julie

11 comments:

  1. That house is amazing! We do the same type of gift exchange, and same here, there's always a fight over that one awesome thing! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Samantha! We checked out the Facebook page for that house last night and it says it runs for a total of one hour and 15 minutes! Holy smokes! I'll have to post a video of it! :)

      Delete
  2. I love the 90's Miracle on 34th Street. I like your Yankee gift exchange. We do that at school.

    I'd love to do a cookie exchange- maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suze! And thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. Love all your traditions Julie! As always we have many that are similar lol I am going to do this linkup tonight when I get home. I wish we lived closer so we could share in all our traditions together (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that! Thank you! That's too funny that we are similiar even in our Christmas traditions! Haha! :)

      Delete
  4. We love going to Frankenmuth every year too! We took our little one this past weekend for the first time and he liked it too (I think, lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! That's awesome! I'm sure he will like it even more as he gets older! That light show house I was talking about its like 20 minutes away from there. There is a Facebook page I'm going to have to find it and share! :)

      Delete
  5. Your family sounds so fun, Julie! And I totally need to go to Bronner's! I love Christmas decor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holly! Yes, I promise you would love Bronner's! Might want to leave Chris and the kids at home for that though! Lol. Just kidding :) Thanks for hosting this linkup! It was a lot of fun!

      Delete
  6. I'm obsessed with the lights and music thing. I could sit there and listen forever! Jordan gets bored, though, so we usually move on after five minutes or so. But it's so cool!

    ReplyDelete