Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Taste of Tuesday

I don’t know about you, but when it’s cold out I want warm, easy, calorie filled, comfort food.  
Lord knows I can’t cook a small portion so then I’m forced to live off it for a week! Which gets boring… but at least it’s yummy! When Michael’s home, he helps clean up leftovers faster! That or I freeze a lot of meals. Just depends on what it is.
Last week I was craving a warm, easy, cheesy, calorie filled something! So I made some cream of broccoli soup! Since I am still eating left overs I thought I’d share with this fun linkup, Taste of Tuesday.
I love soup. I used to think that soup was so hard to make. But really, it’s so easy! I especially love making soup in the fall and winter!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
2 Tablespoons butter

½ C chopped onion

1 C chopped carrots (I added more because I love veggies)

½ C diced/sliced celery (whichever you prefer)

1 Tablespoon minced garlic

4 C chicken broth

2 large baking potatoes – peeled and chopped

1 Tablespoon flour

½ C water

2/3 C milk

2-4 C chopped broccoli (depends on how chunky you’d like your soup)

2 C shredded cheddar cheese (or substitute velveeta cheese if you prefer I think velveeta adds more flavor but I know some people don't like the whole "processed" food thing)

Melt the butter in a large soup pot.

Add onions, carrots, celery, and potatoes. Sauté over medium heat until tender.

Add garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes.

Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender.

Mix flour with water well (prior to mixing in soup pot) Once mixed well, add to soup pot. Simmer until soup is slightly thickened.

Add milk and broccoli and cook until broccoli is tender.

Stir in cheese and allow to melt.

Serve with crackers or bread.
Enjoy!

XO, Julie 



9 comments:

  1. That looks delicious!! If you have a crock pot you should try a meatloaf in the crock pot - so great in the winter months!! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea! I've never thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. That looks SO good! I'm with you - in the winter I want warm comfort food, especially soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Soup is on the menu at our house again tonight! Haha. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. Broccoli cheese soup is my favorite! I get it anytime I see it on a menu! I have to learn how to make this. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    Angi@ cantbuymelovvve.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Angi! It's SUPER easy! The hardest part is prepping all the chopped veggies! :) Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hey there Badger! :) Guess what day it is???!!!!!! Enjoy the zoooooup if you try it! : )

      Delete
  5. Yum!! Broccoli cheddar soup is my favorite - and this recipe looks delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete