Friday, January 3, 2014

New Year, New Goals

Starting the New Year half way through the week just didn't work out for me... so maybe next week I'll get on track for my 2014 goals and resolutions! {Shaking my head as I type that - yes I'm one of those that says, ehhhhh I'll start tomorrow...oops!} I've got some good intentions though! And I'm not setting the bar too high.. AKA setting myself up for failure! :) 

Linking up for Five on Friday with 5 of my New Year's Resolutions!

Morning Routine
As Michael says, I'm a monster in the morning. Haha. I beg to differ. I'm really not that bad. However, I do wish it were easier for me to wake up in the morning. Four out of five mornings, my alarm goes off and I either turn it off or I snooze it without knowing. Terrible habit. On the one morning that I actually do get up "on time" I find that I am in a much better mood, I get some things done around the house, and I don't want to strangle the dogs for not wanting to go potty until the second I am walking out the door. 
The bottom line is that my goal is to stop snoozing the alarm and being a monster in the morning. If it goes well, I might even try to do my exercising in the morning. Key word in that sentence - "IF" :)  
Any suggestions for breaking this terrible habit?!

Exercise Routine
Speaking of the above, regardless of if I manage to fix my morning routine or not, I will get back to my exercise routine. Preferably in the morning but most likely that won't happen so it will be in the evenings. I did really well with sticking to my 2013 goal due to our wedding.. so I know I can do it again once I get back in the swing of things. I haven't worked out since the first week of July. Fail. 
A couple weeks ago I splurged on an elliptical machine so that is my motivation to get started again during the cold months. It made more sense to add to our exercise equipment rather than spend the money on a gym membership as well as the gas money to drive a half hour to a gym. I blame the hubs on that for wanting to live in the middle of now where :) 
Last winter I did the Advocare - Can you 24 video and I really liked it! But I'd like to switch it up and do more cardio and weights. In order to succeed in this goal, I must also quit being scared of the basement. {Our basement isn't even that bad. I'm just a wuss} This one is going to be a two bird with one stone kind of thing.. which is either going to make it or break it! :) 
How do you stick to your workout routine?!

Budgeting our mooolah
That "B" word has never been in my vocabulary. But that's about to change. Or at least, I hope. We planned our wedding and people would say "What's your budget?" and I would laugh and say I have no budget. I want it, I'll buy it. That's pretty much how shopping, groceries, gas, vacations, and everything else in our spending budget goes. I/we want it, we buy it. Don't get me wrong, we do tell ourselves no when we know we don't "need" or can't afford something, and we cut corners where we can.
In 2014, I'd like to make ourselves a bit tighter on those "no's" and save more money
So far, I've already got a start on this goal. Yay! I've always kept track of our bills on an excel spreadsheet so I recently added up the amount of extra money we "should" have and set up as many bills as possible for auto-pay. That way I am keeping track of the monthly necessity bills and I won't ever forget them. I also have some auto transfers set up to three different accounts for savings, Christmas club, and tax money. I might even open a vacation savings to help out this budgeting thing! The biggest things I'd like to pay attention and budget is our misc spending and contributing to our savings. I'm going to keep track of where we blow spend our money and really try to keep it in line. I can't really set amounts yet because I don't know what the average is that we spend on those non-bill/non-necessity things, but I know it's not controlled! It's definitely going to be interesting... and tough... and it might even get ugly! But, it will be worth it! 
How do you budget your spending?! Trust me, I need all the tips I can get! 

Prosper
Over the last 16 months, my career has changed in so many unexpected ways. Some days I'm grateful and other days I'm unappreciative. In 2014, I'd like to change my negative attitude about certain aspects of my job and look at all the positive things it has to offer. I've been lucky enough to get to where I am and work for a successful company for 9 years. Although there are some things that I haven't quite adjusted to, I know I can't change those things besides working towards advancement in the future. I'm looking forward to learning, growing, and overall being prosperous in 2014.

Respect & Patience
In 2014 I would like to increase my patience and work on a higher level of respect for myself as well as others. I often find myself judging or critizing others, as well as myself. I'm often too hard on myself and expect too much of myself. I also run a thin line of patience. Whether it's driving, a customer's repetative questions, the dogs misbehaving, Michael not listening to me the first 3 times I ask him to do something, running late to be somewhere... {the list goes on} I would like to be a little more easy going, a little more patient, a lot more respectful, and a little less critical.   

I asked Michael what his goals/resolutions were and he said he doesn't make any. Ha! I'm going to guess that his goals are to hunt, remodel the kitchen, and work with me on the whole budgeting thing! ;)
A few other minor goals I'd like to work on:
. Drink more water .
. Run a 5k .
. Meal Planning .
. Stop cussing like a sailor my husband .

What are your 2014 Resolutions?!



5 comments:

  1. Great resolutions! Mine are very similar - but the morning one is a great one! I am NOTTT a morning person at all, I literally hate it, so this would be a good thing for me to work on! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really similar ones as well…I think the key to the morning routine and getting yourself to the gym in the mornings might be to have everything laid out for you so that all you have to do is jump out of bed and get dressed…at least thats what i do haha!! I was the same way with our wedding…what budget lol! But now that we want to buy a house - we have to get serious with it…I sell a lot of my old clothes on eBay and that helps give me so extra $$!!! I'm sure you'll tackle these goals no problem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are all super! mine is pretty similar -- just having the motivation to get to the gym can be difficult but realizing how easy it is once you're there means it's worth it:) found your blog from the link up and i can't wait to read more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, patience. I need some of that too :) Good luck on your goals this year! 5k!!!Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such great resolutions! And girlllll, let me tell you what - I can def. relate to the monster in the morning...!! I really shouldn't be spoken to until I have been awake for a good hour.

    I recently moved from Michigan, so looking at your pictures makes me nostalgic!!

    Happy weekending :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete