Sunday, February 9, 2014

Beauty

The weekend is almost over....
Le sigh. 
Yay!

Normally I don't wish the weekend away... but I'm looking forward to this week for a couple reasons... 
1. I'm only working Monday and Tuesday then I'm off for a week
2. While I'm off work, I have a lot of things to do, people to visit, and places to go! 
3. Last but not least... the hubby will be home from work before the end of the week! Weekends just aren't the same without him around. 6 days down.. 4 more to go! 

About that post title... Beauty

I've never been much of a makeup/product/beauty/appearance type person. I'm more like the what you see is what you get type. With a few exceptions of when I've had my makeup done - Miss Michigan competition, engagement pictures, and our wedding. I wish I could have someone do my makeup every day because I loved it! Well now that I'm slowly approaching the 30's, I feel like I need all the beauty products I can get. Otherwise, what you see may not be what you want to see. Ha. Just kidding, it's not that bad... but I do feel a lot better about myself with makeup on! I'm also starting to realize that I need to take better care of my skin and take my makeup off before I go to bed.

Here's a couple of my signs that I'm aging...
When my 4 year older husband gets carded for a beer and I don't {Tip depreciation for the server}
When you have wrinkles that makeup doesn't cover up. But more so shows "creases" and "cracks"
The price of makeup is as much as my vehicle payment! When did that happen?! Not really... but close!

So, I've been making small changes and have been making a list of things I need to buy to add to my beauty products. Over the last 12 years, my makeup bag has consisted of just the basics {mascara, blush, bronzer, foundation, moisturizer, eyeshadow, eye liner} all Mary Kay or Bare Minerals products. That's it!

I've been reading all sorts of reviews on beauty must haves from fellow bloggers and  getting some great recommendations! I really didn't have any intentions of getting anything anytime soon. That right there was a jinx to myself. Within just this past week, I ran out of three things. First, I ran out of concealer. Then on Wednesday I realized my mascara was about out. Then on Thursday I ran out of foundation. I think that was my sign to go shopping for some new beauty products.

The bad news? The nearest Ulta store is over an hour away. 
The good news? I had to meet my Mom on Friday to get her dog since she was going on vacation {damn her for not packing me in her suitcase!}. So right then and there I decided I would drive a little further to meet her just so I could go buy some makeup. Michael was out of town anyways so it turned out to be a decent Friday night out of the house! 



1. I still love my bareMinerals products so I stuck with the powder foundation that I've been using for 12+ years.
2. I changed it up and got some L'Oreal concealer. {So far only used it once and it's very light, natural, but just enough to cover the dark circles}. 
3. I previously used bareMinerals primer but I've ready many great reviews on using a BB cream which includes a primer. So with the cost difference, I thought I'd try the L'Oreal BB cream instead. 
4. I've never done my eyebrows except when I've had my makeup done as I mentioned. And it really is amazing how much of a difference it makes! It's not something I'm going to do on a regular basis.. but I'd like to be able to do it when I want to. So I bought a little kit that includes stencils. 
5. L'Oreal butterfly mascara. LOVE IT! {see picture below} I've used Mary Kay mascara for as long as I know! Anytime I've ever tried another brand, I hate it! I read Kylie's post about how this new butterfly mascara was great. Then when I was at Ulta they had a buy one get one 50% off all Loreal products, so that was my sign to try it. 
6. Last but not least, Urban Decay eye shadow! I haven't purchased eye shadow since I bought my bareMinerals starter kit when I was in high school. I don't always wear eye shadow but I've heard/read so many great things about these naked palettes. Then I seen the price tag and thought twice. Then the Ulta associate told me they last for several years. Which then convinced me it would be worth the money in the long run. Ha! Plus I got this little bonus eye shadow primer and she also gave me an additional "gift" but I haven't opened it yet. Either way, I think I got my money's worth :) 

These are my creepy eyes with the butterfly mascara. One coat. No use of the eyelash curler.

What are some of your favorite beauty products? Any of the above?! 

On a last note about this weekend... 
Saturday night I was bored being home by myself {I can only talk to dogs for so long} and had to take a break from inhaling the dust from the trim, so I decided to make a new banner for the blog... holy moly time consuming! whatcha think!?

I've been working on my entry way product that I previously mentioned. I got all the trim sanded down and stained one coat. Then I started painting. And go figure, I didn't calculate correctly... I only got a pint and of course that wasn't enough! I ran out of paint. Ha! Project postponed! 

Here's my little orphan dog that I'm dogsitting... His name is Pedro and if he had a middle name it would be Annoying. {Jack and Sandy would agree} I can't do anything without him on my lap! 

I hope ya'll had a great weekend! 



14 comments:

  1. Julie I love the banner! (Especially the pic of you two in the snow- favorite!) Hope you had a fabulous weekend lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl your lashes are so long - is that all from the mascara?! I think you're really going to love the urban decay palette- and the bb cream too! I have used the garnier version for about 2 years and love it- but am thinking of switching it up a bit as well!! Glad you were able to treat yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Biana! Yes, my lashes are really that long! But the awesome mascara really enhances them!! :)

      Delete
  3. Your eyelashes are BEAUTIFUL!!!! So not even fair! So excited for your week off! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The banner looks great! As do your eyelashes, jeez save some for the rest of us haha. I've been wanting the Naked3 palette for so long but thought maybe it was just the blogosphere giving way too much hype. May have to finally give in!

    http://luibrandland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Christie!! :) And yes, I wish I could share some lashes! Lol. You may definitely have to give in and get a palette! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, that butterfly mascara looks amazing on you. I'm totally sold, going to find some and try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jaclyn! I hope you find some and it works just as great for you too! :)

      Delete
  6. We are totally on the same page on makeup! I've been addicted to bare essentials foundation since um... forever? Until recently my makeup routine was super simple. Makeup, blush, simple eyes, mascara done! I've been venture out with my makeup. Eyebrows? Who knew you were suppose to give them attention?! Naked eye palette are rocking my world! I got the 3rd one for a gift and am in love! So glad I'm not the only one growing up in my makeup routine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Too funny, Taylor! I'm totally with ya on the eyebrow thing! Who knew?! Well now we do and we're learning together! Thank goodness for women who share these things with others! ;)

      Delete
  7. Hey girl I have been through a whirlwind of a week and am just now catching up with you. I just recently started doing my eyebrows because they are looking pretty pitiful. I need to get a stencil kit. That would make it all much smoother process. I obviously need so e of the mascara now too, holy big lashes woman!!!! Your so beautiful though so none of this was really needed but as always it's so much fun to spoil ourselves with fun beauty products!!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, your too sweet Britt! Thank you! :) You will have to let me know if you find that mascara and how it works for you! I hope everything is okay with you this week! I will text you later today! :) XO

      Delete