Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Taste of Tuesday

When Michael's home, I'm really good at sticking to my meal planning and consistently cooking dinner. Which makes me happy for many reasons. 1. I enjoy to cook. 2. My husband likes to eat and if I get home from work, it's the first thing he wants to know - what's for dinner. 3. If I don't plan ahead, I often don't have ingredients that I need and we don't live close enough to a store!
However, when he's not home, it's hard to cook for one person. Therefore I resort to one of two plans.  Plan A is to cook one big meal and live off it all week (has to be something that I like to eat as leftovers because I don't like just any leftovers).
Plan B is to cook one big meal and freeze the rest! This recipe makes for the perfect freezer meal!
Tator Tot Casserole
I realize this picture may not be very appealing, but it's the only way you can see the layers of ooey gooey goodness! And let's be honest, I'm not a professional. :)

This is a yummy (not too healthy) recipe and it's very easy! You can make ahead and freeze as well! 

Bag of frozen tater tots
Diced onion
1lb beef/venison burger (We use venison burger for the most part)
Can of cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken isn't bad either)
Mixed vegetables (you can buy a mixture of canned/frozen of your choise - I used veggies I have frozen from our garden and I just pick a couple bags of each and mix them together)
Little bit of shredded cheese
Little bit of sour cream (approx 1 cup - I just eyeball it)
Optional: Spices such as garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary, basil.

Cook burger with diced onion

In separate bowl, combine veggies, soup, and sour cream. Mix well.

Spread burger mixture on the bottom of a baking dish. Top with veggie mixture. Sprinkle a little bit of cheese over top. If spices are desired, you can sprinkle those over top of the layers at this time.

Layer the tatertots on top. You can dump them on top or be type A like myself and place them one by one in a row until the entire dish is covered. :)

If you are preparing for a freezer meal, stop at this point. Cover and freeze, 

Bake uncovered at 350 for 30-45 minutes or until tater tots are golden.

Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------


Do you have a favorite delicious {easy} dinner or freezer meal I should make?!




16 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - why did you have to post that tater tot recipe!? I LOVE tater tots!! I hear ya - making food for one person is just not fun - I like to make super easy meals like fish sticks and a side!! seriously i was deprived as a child and never had fish sticks until I was an adult lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Well I'm glad you discovered fish sticks! That's too funny! I don't eat seafood so I've never ate them! You might have to have this tater tot recipe though! ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks Ashely! It sure was delicous! (Not to too my own horn... just love the ooey gooey comfort foods! ;)

      Delete
  3. Wow, that looks amazing! I just showed my husband the photo of the tater tot casserole and his mouth dropped open! Needless to say, I'll probably make it this weekend. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That's too funny! Your welcome Jenna! Thank you! I hope yall enjoy it! :)

      Delete
  4. Um that tater tot casserole looks AMAZING!!! I love tots :) and that looks like the perfect cold winter day, comfort food meal! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously Mark is obsessed with tater tots I may win fiance of the year if I cook him that casserole! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Well that's awesome! You deserve best fiance of the year! ;) Thank you :)

      Delete
  6. Oh my absolute goodness, my husband would LOVE this! Bookmarking now, thank you for sharing!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I hope you and your husband enjoy it! :)

      Delete
  7. oh man I love tater tots and haven't had them in forever! That will have to be one of my cheat meals at the end of March!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that casserole looks good! Jordan's the same way about asking what's for dinner as soon as he comes in from work :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This tator tot casserole looks amaze!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmmm that tater tot casserole looks deeewish!

    ReplyDelete