Sunday, March 30, 2014

Weekend Recap: Water problems & Good Eats

If you would have asked me two days ago what my plans were for the weekend, I would have said "Relaxing with my husband around the house!" I wouldn't have told you I was looking forward to cleaning up a flooded basement. But, sometimes things don't go as planned.. and this weekend was one of those times.

Friday night Michael was still out of town working in Missouri. Where there were terrible storms and tornado's. Of course I was overly worried the entire day. Here is a news video of his crew taking down a water tower Friday. Not something you see every day and definitely not something many people do for a living! I accomplished nothing more than cuddling with Sandy girl.
Michael on the right

Saturday morning I woke up for work and heard the sump pump running a little too long. So I went downstairs and checked it out. It was definitely backing up. Of course this crap only happens when Michael isn't home. I didn't have any time to do anything about it so I called Michael and he had someone go to the house. By time I got home from work he said it was okay and it should be fine now. We went on with our day and headed to my Dad's property to visit and do some shed hunting. There's still way too much damn snow to find anything. All we got out of it was some exercise from walking through knee deep snow.... Now that is a workout!


I was totally looking forward to sleeping in on Sunday morning. Until both dogs and my husband woke up at the crack of dawn and made me roaring mad. There went that idea of sleeping in. And it was the morning I had planned on starting my cleanse. So deep down I really wanted to sleep in as long as possible to stall that morning fiber drink. First thing Michael decided to do after he poured his cup of coffee was to go check on the basement. Then I heard the cuss words and "Gonna need the rubbers {boots folks, not those kind of rubbers} to go down there!" It was right at that moment, I knew I shouldn't have started the cleanse. I should instead start drinking vodka. Straight from the bottle. 
So it begins. The weather is warming up. Which means the 2 feet of snow is melting. Which then causes the ditches to back up. Which means the water in our sump pump has no where to go. As well as all the water in the yard and underneath that house. Therefore, it backs up into the basement through the sump pump hole and/or in today's case - also in through the cement walls. Sounds pleasant, right?! This is exactly why our basement will never be finished and nice. So we got to cleaning. Well first, Michael got to mixing some rum chatta with his coffee. Then, we got the second sump pump hooked up and draining out the window down the driveway. 
Next step: throwing stuff away, getting stuff off the floor, moping followed by squeegee. 
We finally got everything taken care of and were able to move on with our day. At this point, I forgot what I even had planned and I’ve lost all desire to do anything productive. We grabbed some lunch and headed outside to burn what garbage we could and to take a walk through the woods. The dogs could use some fresh air and so could we. Jack also thought he could use some mud and water. Our driveway and front yard and now become a mini pond from pumping the water out and Jack wanted to play in it. Of course I’m a sucker for his cute face. Little did he know that was going to result in a bath! 


Enough about the water disaster… let’s talk about some good eats! 

Spinach Strawberry Salad
Lite Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing
Fresh Spinach
Fresh Strawberries
Fresh Mozzerlla, cubed
Sliced Almonds
Next time, I'm going to add chicken! So yummy!

Stuffed Pork Tenderloin
April posted this recipe which gave me the idea that I had everything on hand. I didn't have any capers or sundried tomatoes so I added artichokes, fresh lemon, and some additional seasonings. It was yummy! {mine doesn't look as pretty as hers!}

EASY Fruit Cobbler
Lisa posted this recipe a while back and it was so easy I couldn't forget about it! Three ingredients... berries, 12oz sprite zero, and a box of cake mix. You can use a mixture of berries or in my case, I have so many strawberries on hand that I just used those. Layer berries on bottom of 9x13 cake pan, combine cake mix and sprite in a separate bowl, spread over top of berries. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. As Lisa says, easy peasy! :) 

I thoroughly enjoy learning new recipes from fellow bloggers that are tried and true! 

Oh, and one last exciting thing... our friends had their baby today! It's a girl! She's adorable! 

So how was your weekend?! Ever have a water problem like ours?!









8 comments:

  1. Those strawberries look amazing!!! Hope the cobbler turned out :)

    And girlllll, my hubby knows not to wake me up if I am planning on sleeping in, ha! My love for sleeping in is the only thing that keeps me from having baby fever (so not ready to give up sleep)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your water problems! I'm hoping that as the rest of our snow (hopefully) melts in the next couple of days, we don't have any issues in our basement. Glad you were able to get it all cleaned up and enjoy the nice weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That water mess looks no fun! What a bummer. I hear ya on things happening when the hubs isn't home! So typical.
    That easy cobbler is so good. I've made it a couple times and I'm always surprised at how yummy it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so sorry about the flooding mess. That had to be a real HEADACHE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have thankfully never had a water problem like that. But good land of mercy! That sucks. Sounds like you handled it pretty well. With all the vodka and such ;) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh - so sorry about all the trouble you guys went through!! that is never fun...but thankfully you were all safe and still able to enjoy the time together!! All that food is making me so hungry!!! Hope you have a wonderful Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no lady!! Ugh it is so frustrating when stuff like that happens and messes up your plans. We get flooding in our basement every spring when the ground thaws - and it makes me want to SCREAM...ahh the joys of having an old house ;) I'm with you on the vodka! HAHA :) Are you going to start your cleanse this week?? Which one are you doing?? And those recipes all look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ughh how awful to deal with but can I just say how sweet your basement is??!! (Also, I want to come over and eat with ya'll- you always have something good food wise going on!!)

    ReplyDelete