Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Way back Wednesday: How we met ♥

Guess what day it is? Guess what day it is?? Huuuuuump daaaaay!
 
How about some "way back Wednesday" for ya!
Well maybe not waaaay back... but back to 5 years ago when Michael and I met.
I've talked about it a little bit HERE and HERE... but it's always fun to look back and document all the details.
I don't know why, but lately I've been all about the "remember when..." stories. I think it's a mixture of feeling like I'm getting old and having a different lifestyle than just a couple years ago... so I often look back and reminicse on the good times.

Some days it feels like the hubs and I have been together forever and I want to choke him out. Other days it feels like it was just yesterday that we met. ♥

Rewind back to 2009…
I was in a relationship with my on again/off again high school “sweetheart”. We started dating when I was 14. Over the years we had lots of breakups. We’d both dated other people and still wound up back together. My parents always told me not to get back with him. They always told me not to “settle”. But I didn’t know any better {yet}. Towards the end of the year, my Dad mentioned that there was an event for a group that he was a part of that needed some volunteers. He also mentioned that it would be in a different area where I didn't know anyone and there would be hundreds of guys there. His exact words were “maybe you’ll find your dream guy.” – {I said… yeah right Dad, there’s no such thing.}
When my Dad first asked me to volunteer, it was mostly because they needed help at the event. I was hesitant to commit to it. As the event got closer, he continued to drop hints about how I could possibly meet someone new and maybe I would meet someone that would treat me better and most guys there are going to be dedicated hunters {in my Dad’s eyes, a hunter is the best kind of guy} As the event got closer, my Dad basically gave me no option. I was going. So I was sure to mention - it was strictly just to help. I had no interest in meeting anyone. I wasn’t quite over the breakup and I never really had a point where I was just single in my 22 years of life.
So here I am, February 20, 2010 at a QDMA event almost 2 hours away from home with my Dad as well as hundreds of people I don’t know. I started out selling ticket packages at the door. So I saw every single person that walked in. Not everyone came up to buy tickets from me at that point, but I was still able to people watch as the men trickled in. That’s when I saw this tall handsome guy with a huge beautiful smile walk in the door. I remember we caught eyes and suddenly I had a feeling I never really had before. My thoughts changed pretty quickly about meeting a potential guy at this event and I now found myself wanting to talk to him. But I wasn’t interested just any of the other 300+ guys in the hall, there was something about Michael!
As the night went on, I had to sell raffle tickets and guns throughout the crowd. There was another girl selling tickets with me as well. There was also a guy that wouldn’t stop asking me for my number and if he could take me out on a date. Funny how I told him I had no interest in dating but here I was plotting out how I was going to talk to this hot tall scruffy guy with a ball cap on…
I tried to sell Michael raffle tickets. He would just smile and shake his head. I would try to sell him a gun ticket. He would just smile and shake his head. I would crack a joke about how he must just be here to drink the beer and he would smile even bigger. I would see him standing in the crowd and I would walk towards him and he would turn and walk the other way. Come to find out, when Michael wanted to purchase any raffle tickets, he would send someone else with his money to buy them from me. When he wanted to know if I was single or not, he sent someone else up to ask me. Apparently he was too shy… It's a good thing I wasn't because we were obviously secretly interested in one another from the moment we caught eyes.
The night was nearing an end. But I hadn’t given up on getting a chance to talk to this hottie. The crowd was dwindling down. I finally got to have a couple beers and relax as well. Then I seen him standing with the other girl I had been working with all night. So I headed over to invite myself into their conversation. Although I really didn’t join the conversation, I just stood there and sipped my beer. Eventually, their conversation ended (they knew each other from prior QDMA events) and she walked away. Leaving just this hot stranger and I to mingle. Luckily he didn’t run away this time.

I don’t remember exactly how we talked but I know my Dad noticed right away and of course I couldn’t stand there talking to a stranger for too long without him.
These are only a few thing I remember from our first conversation…
One of the first things he asked was if I smoked. Which was great because a non smoker was very important to me as well.
He told me he was single and looking for someone to settle down with and to get married and have kids within the next couple years. {Whoa! Not gonna lie, I was scared of that comment but I also loved he was honest and mature}
He invited me out for a drink after the banquet and “warned” me that he drove a jacked up truck with mudding tires and it was a rough ride. {As if that was supposed to scare me away} At the time, a big hit on the radio was 8 second ride. So of course, it was the first song I correlated to him and I still think of that conversation the first night we met when I hear that song.
Soon enough, my Dad came over and introduced himself. “I see you met my daughter Julie…” He probably then said something along the lines of “you hurt her, you die” or “she’s single”. And I probably wanted to crawl in a hole. I told my Dad there was a group of people going to the bar up the road after the banquet and that Michael invited me out for a drink. {Still in front of Michael} My Dad said no. Absolutely not. I don’t know him, you sure as hell aren't going home with him and I’m not going home without you. Then he told me to get my coat and let's go. My face probably turned 50 shades of red. Yes, I'm 22 and my Dad just told me I couldn't go to the bar and now I have to go home. Ouch.
Michael asked for my number and I said I’ll go get something to write it down on {old fashioned much?!} He pulled out his cell phone and said he would just add it to his contacts right away {a little more effective than finding a piece of paper} Then we joked about how an old school country boy like him had a touch screen high tech phone. He said he would give me call sometime and we went our separate ways.
On the way home, my Dad and I talked about how I felt about the guy I just met. He thought Michael seemed like a good guy. And of course he probably said “I told ya so” All I could hope was for Michael to call me. The ball was in his court. Then of course I wondered if he really would. What if he didn't call? Within a couple minutes of heading home, I got a text message. It said something along the lines of “You’re the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen and I’m so lucky to have met you. Have a good night!” I think I melted at that point.
From that moment on, I had feelings that I never felt before. I completely got over the break up with my ex. It didn’t even faze me when I would see him or get a call/text from him. My Dad was right, there was someone out there that was on the same page as me, was a gentleman and that would treat me the way I deserved to be treated.
Since my Dad is a little protective and he wanted to be sure Michael was a good guy, he told me that if I wanted to go out on a date with Michael, I would need to get to know him better over the phone and give it some time. Then when I felt that I was ready to physically get together with him, he would need to come pick me up from my Dad’s house.
It had been about a month since we met. We talked on the phone every night and text throughout the day. There wasn’t a moment I didn’t think about seeing that smile again. We sent each other a lot of pictures via texting {which I still have saved on my computer and yes they are all appropriate}. I let my Dad know when we were planning to get together. Before that, my Dad asked for all of his information.. his email, phone number, home address, parent’s names, etc. Then he contacted a sheriff to be sure Michael was a good guy. Just so happens that sheriff was one of Michael’s hunting buddies. So of course, all good words were exchanged and Dad approved of the date!
The rest is history ♥
This wasn't our first date... I was a slacker on the first date and didn't take any pictures. But this is our second date!  
April of 2010. The first time he hung out with my friends and I at Suckerfest 
July 2010
 
"Don't find love, let love find you. That's why it's called falling in love... because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall."
 
 


11 comments:

  1. I am loving this especially that your dad contacted the sheriff to make sure he was a good guy!! I mean if that's not a good background check I don't know what is!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your dad in this story haha. Daddy's always seem to know everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stop ittt! This is so freaking cute!! (sorry here I am again, a no reply :)-- I will get this fixed! ) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I met my husband in 2008--I can definitely relate to the strange contrast of how it feels like I've known him my entire life and I can also vividly remember when we first met. :) I think it's awesome that you Dad had to "approve" of him first!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww such a great story!! Aaron and I met in a similar way in that I had an (awful) high school boyfriend who I needed to break up with for ages, and when I finally did - I met Aaron 2 weeks later at a graduation party of a common friend, and it was love at first sight. Stories like this make me think that the universe works itself out :) you know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sweet story! It's adorable that he was shy :) Glad it all worked out for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg, love that your dad called the sheriff!! How funny!! Very sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! Your dad sounds like my dad :) Glad you didn't settle and found someone who's perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is the sweetest & y'all are so precious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahaha this is great! Your Dad sounds like mine! I adore you two by the way ;)

    ReplyDelete