Tuesday, May 13, 2014

DIY: Laundry Detergent

A couple weeks ago I mentioned that I made my own laundry detergent for the first time. 

Here's what I have to say about it and how to make it!


What you need: 

// 1.3lbs Oxy-Clean //
// 4lbs Baking Soda //
// 4lb 12oz Borax //
//3lb 7oz Super Washing Soda //
// 3 bars of Fels-Naptha // - Or use Ivory bar soap if desired
** Optional: 2 - 13.2oz Downy Unstoppables **
**tip: keep the scoop from the oxy clean containter to use for measuring scoops **

The 5 necessary ingredients cost just under $16. 
The most expensive ingredient was the optional downy unstoppables at $6.97 a piece.
Which brought the cost of my ingredients to $29.87

What to do:

Get a bucket, or clean trash can, or a rubber maid container. I used a 5 gallon pail.

Begin by grading one bar of Fels Naptha soap. I used a cheap cheese grater. I've also read online that you can grade it down further by using a food processor. I decided to make my knuckles and finger tips bleed instead. o_O <-- this was the extent of any work during the process of making the detergent.

After one bar is graded, begin pouring a portion of the remaining ingredients on top. Then mix well. 
Repeat until all ingredients are used. 
{I poured ingredients in layers rather than all at once to be sure it was well mixed}

In the end, the 5 gallon pail wasn't quite half full. I believe this recipe made about 18lbs of detergent.

Rather than storing a 5 gallon pail in my laundry room, I had purchased this gallon decorative Mason Jar at Hobby Lobby to store a smaller amount. {As I mentioned before, I especially love Mason jar's because Mason is my maiden name} 

I kept the scooper out of the oxy clean and it fits in this jar perfectly so I can use it to measure per load! 
It takes 2 tablespoons of detergent per load. 

So there you have it! 
So fresh and so clean, clean!
Homemade laundry detergent! 

Like I said, I've been using it for almost a month now and I really do like it! I can tell that my clothes are clean, they seem brighter, they smell great, and I'm not going to lie, I don't mind not having to deal with that sticky icky liquid! What I especially like is that this should last me a long time! 

This entire batch makes enough to wash approximately 500 loads {according to math calculations... I haven't personally counted}. Versus a large jug of Tide that I took a picture of at Walmart - $17.97 for 138oz - 72 loads. Do the math... In order to do 504 loads using Tide, you would need 7 of jugs which would cost $125.79. I realize Tide is the high end of detergent and not everyone uses that brand but that's what I used. 

Do you make your own laundry detergent?! Any suggestions or opinions?! I read many different recipes and comments about making your own detergent so it's hard to find the perfect happy medium!










12 comments:

  1. wow, so awesome! this is great. thanks for sharing :) it looks so pretty, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO great!! Holy cow what a cost difference! Can it be used for front loaders? I've only ever used liquid detergent in the little tray, so I'm not even sure if mine takes powder - but if it does, you bet I'll be copying you!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go lady!! Savings is savings no matter how you do it!! I think it's so awesome that you tried your hand in making your own detergent and even better that you're actually seeing a difference in your clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the mason jar, of course! I have been contemplating doing this for a while now but after seeing the math it is a no brainer that I definitely should!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, looks so cute in the jar too. Those Downy Unstoppables are a must have in our house! We love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you feel it does a good job at getting stains out? We have an LG front loader and I don't know how well it will do with powder as I always use liquid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so awesome!!! And it looks totally fun! Thanks for sharing, girlfriend!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read about this before and I've always been interested in making some for myself! However, I have a front loader LG as well, so I'd probably have to do some research and look into how well it would work with my washer. I really would love to do this though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A friend of mine does this and loves it!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your recipe better than the ones I've tried. I'm pinning this for later!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. After the post I just wrote for tomorrow I may be doing this very soon!!!

    ReplyDelete