Monday, September 15, 2014

Weekending & Catch up...

Excuse my minor 2 week absense over here... I've just had a whole lotta busy life craziness going on and no time to document it!
 
The last couple weeks I would say that gardening has consumed my life {after I get home from working 8 hours}. Almost every single day during the week, once I get home from work, I can be found in either the garden - picking veggies, or in the kitchen - preserving the veggies. I'm not going to lie, I'm getting burnt out. In the past, Michael has been home to help me. This year... not so much. Which leaves me all on my own and it's just a lot of work. There has been days that I've just said "screw it, that shit can rot" because I don't have enough time. As a matter of fact, I have already let a lot go to waste and/or given it away. The broccoli plants, pickle plants, some green bean and some zucchini plants got pulled and thrown away last weekend. Just because I've had enough. Oooops!
One day's worth of picking - green beans, sweet corn, carrots, zucchini and tomatoes below {put straight into a bag to give the hell away!} 
More tomatoes {3 of these baskets full to be exact..}
Tomatoes turned homemade spaghetti sauce
Sweet corn for the win! 
Carrots blanced and ready for freezing
**Tip for freezing veggies - after blanching, lay on a towel to absorb as much water as possible. Then place on cookie sheets covered with parchment paper. Place in the freeze overnight. In the morning, separate into freeze bags. This allows for less moisture in the veggie and more individual freezing!**
 
And in the end... I have a full pantry. I'm relieved that it's coming to an end. This year has been a challenge to say the least!
*L to R: Spaghetti Sauce, Green Beans, Salsa, Halved Peaches, Peach Jam, Pickles, Cherries, Strawberry Jam*
   
On a better note, the weekends I tend to get a break from the gardening and we've went out and had some fun. Labor Day weekend we went to an archery shoot with my Dad and Boating on Lake St. Clair with my Aunt and Uncle.
 
My Daddio & I


Pretty scenery on our walk through the woods 
Pink arrow beats the guys ;)  
Pink arrow beats the guys, again :)
Okay one more just for fun... :)


 
 
 We recently attended Woods & Water Weekend for QDMA. The whole damn fam went! {Meaning us and our furbabies}
I was also featured in the event catalog by MI Buck Pole, so that was neat :)
 
Last weekend, the hubs and I went to the Tigers game with our friends, Kelsey & Ryan! It was a bit chilly {Thank you Michigan weather} but it was still an awesome game and a great time!



 
Some other randomness lately....
 
I've snuck in lots of cuddles with my babes♥
 
Jackass is still up to his normal nonsense ;)
Did I mention it's cold as hell here already?! {As you may have already seen on IG @justjuliejoy}

And last but not least... I've finally talked forced the hubs into buying new carpet! More to come on that soon! Now to determine paint colors and to get rid of some old furniture in the bedrooms....

Phew, that was a long post. I guess that's what happens when you try to cram the majority of 2 weeks in! :)
 
Linking up with Biana for Weekending! Although mine includes 3 weekends! Ha!

 

8 comments:

  1. Your garden is amazing and makes me wish I had a backyard so I could garden as well! hat and gloves already - sorry love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Garden Goodness!!! Maybe next year you should downsize lol I think we are going to make one next Spring but I am going to have to remember yours for size reference because I don't think I could handle all of this for a first timer! I so wish we lived closer because then I would totally take your extras! I cannot believe that it is that cold up there though, we are just having weather in the 60s and low 70s. I hope you guys get more fall like weather instead of straight to winter. Welcome back to blogging, I have missed ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the queen of gardening and canning!! Love it :) Looks like a fun-filled couple of weekends! Bet the boys really liked your arrows beating theirs out haha! I love baseball games - they are so much fun...so are football games, I'm hoping Aaron and I can make it to at least one Cleveland Browns game this season! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy! I was tied up w/ planning my wedding and did zero gardening this spring/summer, so I am jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay welcome back! you have been so busy! love all the fruits of your labor, lol but canning seems like a lot of work, way to go girl! yay for new carpet, i wish i could convince my husband to get rid of some old furniture ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot wait to have all that produce in my garden again! It can get totally overwhelming though. I reme and having so many jalapenos I didn't know what to do! I couldn't make another popper if my life depended on it!! So exciting bout the new carpet, yeah kinda lame that stuff excites me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've had a lot going on! And oh my goodness so many veggies! Those look really good, but I can see how you would get burnt out with all that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so impressed with your gardening and canning! Sounds like a ton of work, but it would be so nice to have homemade spaghetti sauce and salsa and everything! Looks like you've been busy! Hope you're having a good week lady!

    ReplyDelete