Sunday, December 28, 2014

Christmas Festivities!

Just like that... in the blink of an eye.. Christmas is over already! It's crazy how much we look forward to the holiday season, prepare gifts and food, plan and attend parties, and then bam! It's over... and to think it will be a new year in just a short few days is even more mind boggling!
 
The holidays are always crazy busy for us considering both our parents are divorced and my family lives 1-2 hours away {depending on which side we are visiting}.
 
It doesn't help that I always have to work around the holidays... I only get out 3 hours early on Christmas Eve and then Christmas Day off. This year I also had to work Saturday. Bah hum bug. Luckily, I was smart and squeezed in a vacation day for NYE before anyone else requested it. 
 
*note: lots of pictures... also, don't be distracted by the scab on my forehead that looks like a face jewel or some nonsense. No, I'm not trying to start a new trend... :-/
 
Christmas Eve
As we have for the past 4 years {and many years prior to Michael coming into my life} we take a visit to my Dad's house. In the past, we go to their house for dinner and then rush back to where we live to make candlelight mass at Church. This year I told Michael we weren't doing that. It's just too much rushing around and I always feel like we are rushed to leave their house after dinner. Plus, I didn't think I could stay away through late mass. So this year we went to their Church. The only downfall is that they are Catholic and we are Lutheran so it's really not the same service. Michael of course had to act like a child about going to Church in the first place. Then he threw a fit about getting dressed. Then it was my fault that we were late because I didn't have his clothes laid out for him. Ugh. Men....
 
After Church we headed back to my Dad's and my step Mom makes an amazing meal of lobster and steak. She's a really good cook! My Grandpa Mason also joins us for dinner. Then we sit and bs, open gifts, drink beer/wine {n/a for me}, and relax.
Mason Family
 
For someone who hates cats... he was all about this lil guy
Brother & Sister 
3 generations of Mason men + Michael  

 
 
Christmas Day 
I tell ya, I've lived on my own for 3 years and it is still disappointing to not be able to wake up with Jasmine on Christmas morning. That was my excitement for 9 years. Now, I'm just thankful for facetime so that I can video her in the morning!
 
I of course woke up at the crack of dawn {new habit thanks to Baby Joy} and wasn't feeling good on top of not being able to sleep, so I got up and did some stuff around the house to prepare for some company. Michael stayed in bed until 8. Lucky dude.
 
Michael and I didn't exchange gifts this year, so we went right to having Jack and Sandy open their gift. Jack absolutely loves his new ball. Michael on the other hand hates me for buying it because it makes so much noise. Ha!


Sandy says okay okay, it's my turn now - where's the food?
Happy Jackass!
 
I made waffles and berry pancakes for breakfast. Rick {FIL} and Kelly came over to join us. We exchanged gifts and lounged on the couch for a while. We don't see them often so it was nice to just relax and visit for a couple hours.
All the girls chillin' on the loveseat ♥
 
Before we headed over to my MIL's, we attempted to snap a self timer pic = Epic fail.
Last years was much more successful.
 
Around 11 is when we usually head over to my MIL's for dinner {aka lunch}. She cooks a feast! And she makes as much desserts as she makes for the main course! However, with my not feeling well/gastritis pregnancy symptoms in full force, the sugar police {aka Michael} wouldn't allow me near those desserts. Talk about depressing.
 
After dinner we all sit around and let our bellies settle. We usually play some Eurche, do a chinese gift exchange, and drink beer. Then around 6pm we have supper {aka dinner}. Michael's family is kind of backwards if you ask me... they call lunch "dinner". And that's the largest meal of the day. Then dinner they call "supper" and it's not as large of meal. Interesting aye?
 
Once the other family members leave, we exchange gifts between just us - Sharon, her boyfriend Rick, Aunt Joanne, and Uncle Chuckie.
 
We are extremely spoiled and forever grateful for all of the generous gifts we recieve from them! To say they go above and beyond is an understatement!

My ackward pregnancy pose... I mean seriously, what do you do with your hands/belly?!  
Aren't they adorable??! This is the one time a year that Tucker is allowed in the house!  
Annnnd a tired Christmas night cap photo! {notice the time in the background 10:10pm. I was exhausted!} 
 
Christmas Weekend
Last, but certainly not least, we drive south for my Mom's family gathering. Since I had to work this year, we didn't head down until the late afternoon.
 
Drinks and snacks is at my Aunt Starr's place. They live on the lake and have a nice bar room that is perfect for gatherings.
 
I made some festive dirt cake {with the help of my hubby}
 
And wore my Christmas party pants! ;-)  
 

 
Then, we headed back to my Mom's to exchange gifts with her, Greg, and Jazz. Jazz didn't want to come back home with us so we exchanged gifts with her on Sunday before we left.

Again, we were completely spoiled and got some really nice gifts from my Mom and Greg!

________________________________________________________

Since we were down in the city, Ma and I went to do our baby registry on Sunday morning. Phew was that a lot of work! And I'm definitely not done yet... Yikes! {Notice my lovely scab has fallen off my forehead! Yahooooo!}

 
What a busy last week it has been! But it's been fun! Another group of Christmas Festivities are in the books! I hope you all had a great Christmas as well!
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 


11 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh what a whirlwind Christmas weekend!! Even though there was a lot of driving, it looks like you were able to see everyone which is the best!! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a wonderful Christmas girl!! That dirt cake looks delicious! And you are too cute in your Christmas leggings! Love that bump picture! Hope you got to relax a bit during all of that too!!

    <3, Pamela
    Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading about your Christmas wore me out. I'm glad you got spoiled though. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you had an amazing Christmas (: Just think next year you are going to have a little girl to spoil and really watch the magic happen! Our dogs were so excited to get little gifts this year too, however they shredded them all over the living room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew - sounds like a busy, but fun Christmas! Yay for starting your registry too! It is such a daunting task for sure. I took one of my mom friends with me, so that definitely helped. Just think - next year we'll have babies to spoil at Christmas! Have a good week girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound like me, busy! My parents are divorced too so I have been running my entire life on Christmas! I told my family that next year since we'll be in our house that I would have Christmas day next year so I don't have to go anywhere! Lol! Love your festive leggings and that Oreo cake looks so amazing!! And your bump is just precious! Merry Christmas and happy New Year to you guys!! G

    ReplyDelete
  7. my goodness, so busy! no wonder you were exhausted, though at 10pm i'd have been asleep as well! we were in bed at 830pm on christmas lol. yay for registry, and i just love your leggings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a wonderful Christmas!! You look great - I love the Christmas leggings!! I am sure it's an exciting thought to think you'll have a baby to spoil and enjoy next Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE your festive leggings! :) So glad you had a wonderful Christmas! Love the Pup pictures too. One of the toys I got our pups lasted 5 minutes and Shane threw them away LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I thought we had a lot of places to go to but you must have been exhausted! Your dad looks just like his dad, by the way! Hope you've gotten some rest and recovered from a busy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete