Wednesday, October 14, 2015

DIY - Fleece Blanket {no sew}

 
 
I don't know about you... but I sure do love a good 'ol cozy warm blanket!
 
These blankets are great for yourself or as a gift! In this case, I had to come up with a last minute gift for a baby shower this weekend and with being limited to what stores are close by (aka there aren't any), I at least knew that Walmart would have some cute fleece for a blanket!
 
There are quite a few options on how to make these types of blankets, so rather than the basic tied knot, I did this one with a small slit knot. It's really nice! No bulky knots! Oh and the best part, it doesn't have to be perfect and it still looks great! I lied.. the best part is this didn't cost more than $7!
 
What you need:
 
2 pieces of fleece material - (1 yard for baby blanket or 2 yards for adult blanket)
4x4 template
Cutting board
Rotary Cutter or scissors
Not pictured: a ruler that I use to push my rotary cutter against
 
Lay your pieces of fleece down on top of each other. The "good" sides on the outside. Smooth out wrinkles the best you can. Trim edges up. Watch out for baby fingers. Ha!
 
Once edges are all trimmed. Use the 4x4 template card to cut out all four corners of the blanket 

 
Then, begin cutting strips along all four sides of the blanket. You can measure and mark or you can be like me and just eyeball it. I do approximately an inch. Fold each piece up as you cut.  

 
Once all edges have been cut, use your scissors to make a tiny slit in the middle of each cut piece. This will be how you "tie" the blanket together. Be sure not to make the slit too big. Just enough to fit the material through will be good!  
 
Fold the pieces under or over - whichever your preference for colors - through the slit. Once through, tug gently to be sure it's tight. Do this on all edges of the blanket until it's complete.  
 
Maybe your blanket takes a little extra time due to a sass pot like mine that is interfering with your picture taking and knot tying ♥
 
And just like that, you have a lovely blanket!  


 
 



 


4 comments:

  1. This came out so great and looks like little miss really likes it! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out so cute!! I have a blanket like this and love it! So warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh that photo of her sassy face, love it.
    this turned out so good, and I love a good warm blanket! i might even try and make it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cute! what a great (and cheap) gift idea! and that face...love it!

    ReplyDelete