Butternut squash soup is something that I've literally wanted to make for years and for some reason never took the time to do it!
Ever since I cleaned up our garden and brought all the remaining squash into the garage, I've been searching for squash recipes to try so I could use up some of what I had laying around. If you ask me, fall weather screams SOUP!
So, if you like squash.. and you like a good 'ol cup of soup... then this recipe is a must try!
2 medium sized butternut squash (or you could buy pre-cut squash or use already pureed squash)
2 tbsp EVOO
1 small onion - diced
3 cloves of garlic - minced
2 cans (14.5 oz) chicken broth
3 tbsp. butter (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste
• Half and clean squash - Place in baking dish with a half inch of water - Cover with tinfoil and bake for 45-60 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and let cool.
• While squash is cooling, heat EVOO in a small pan - add diced onion and minced garlic. Sauté until tender.
• Begin spooning squash into blender - Add garlic and onion mixture - Add 1 can of broth - blend. If mixture is still thick, begin adding second can of broth until you reach the desired consistency.
• Put squash mixture into a pot on medium-low heat - add butter, if desired.
• Add a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg and some salt and pepper to taste.
I feel like I'm forgetting something... but nope, it's really just that easy! I served myself a bowl with some warm garlic bread. Yummm!