Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Homemade Baby Food

 
I've been asked a few times about my experiences with making Remington's food. Today I made a few trays of Raspberries since my MIL still has lots of berries in her garden, so it reminded me of sharing this post!
 
Making baby food was something I knew I wanted to do once I had little ones. We always grow a garden and can or freeze everything so I figured it couldn't be too complicated to make baby food! Once I got the "all clear" from Remington's pediatrician to begin fruits/veggies, I of course resorted to the internet for recipes and tips. The Wholesome Baby Food website was definitely my go to. This and this were helpful articles. So was this baby food chart.
 
I've never been one that was "all natural" or strictly organic, but providing my baby the best and most affordable nutrition possible was something I definitely wanted to aim for. Also, it's nice to know exactly what is in her food. It's scary to hear about all of the preservatives and chemicals that are in our foods today.
 
Side note: A jar of baby food typically costs $1 for 4oz. It may have cost $20 for the plants in my garden that were strictly for baby food. The peach and pear trees we have produced free fruit. Overall, I probably have 500+ ounces of food in my freezer that cost me next to nothing! How awesome is that?!
 
There are many different options on making baby food. From the food processor, to the way you cook the food, to the way you store the food. This is just what I found worked best for me and allowed me to use items that I already had on hand without having to go spend money.
 
What you need:
 
• Ice cube trays
• Ziploc freezer bags
• Plastic wrap or aluminum foil or wax paper
• Blender (I use my Ninja or magic bullet depending on the amount needed to puree)
• Water (distilled/purified/drinking)
 
How to make puree via steaming:
(I will use carrots for this example)
 
• Pick/purchase your carrots
• Clean skins well
• Peel carrots
• Slice into smaller pieces if necessary (the smaller they are the faster they will cook)
• Place in steamer for 5-7 minutes or until tender (don't overcook to avoid losing nutrients)
• Remove carrots from steamer and place in blender
• Add a little bit of water (1 tbsp at a time)
• Puree carrots until they are at the desired consistency - add more water if needed
• Pour carrot puree into ice cube trays
• Cover ice cube tray with wrap/foil/wax paper - place in freezer for 24 hours
 
How to make puree via baking:
(I will use butternut squash for this example)
 
• Pick/purchase your squash
• Clean skins well (I chose not to peel the squash because the skins can be tough sometimes)
• Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds
• Place squash skin side up in a baking dish or cookie sheet with a small amount of water in the bottom (the water will steam the squash)
• Cover dish with foil (this will avoid the squash getting dried out)
• Bake in oven at 350 for an hour or until squash is tender
• Remove squash from oven and let cool for a few minutes for easy handling
• Spoon squash out of skins into the blender
• Add a little bit of water (1 tbsp at a time)
• Puree squash until they are at the desired consistency - add more water if needed
• Pour squash puree into ice cube trays
• Cover ice cube tray with wrap/foil/wax paper - place in freezer for 24 hours
 
 
How to store the cubes:
• Remove ice cube trays from freezer - remove covering
• Fill kitchen sink with 1/2" - 1" of hot water
• Set one ice cube tray in sink for 5-10 seconds. This will loosen the cubes. Don't leave the tray in the hot water too long otherwise your food will begin to turn back to liquid form
• Pop the cubes out of the tray into a large bowl
• Once all cubes are removed, begin placing in labeled freezer bags
** I chose to put the majority of the cubes into vacuum sealed bags to avoid freezer burn and then I put a small quantity for immediate use in a regular Ziploc bag. This is just what works for me with items I already have on hand.
 
 
That's it! Just like that, you have some delicious, homemade baby food for your little one! I know it seems like a lot of work, but once you get going, it's really easy! So far I have made carrots, peas, green beans, sweet potato, butternut squash, pears, peaches, and raspberries. I've also got corn and zucchini that I'd like to incorporate into some mixed recipes eventually and I'm hoping to pick some apples to make apple sauce soon!

So far I would say that pears, squash, and sweet potato are Remi's favorites. She's not a fan of the peas or green beans at all! So I mix those with another vegetable to make her eat them! :)

Check out my pinterest board - Baby Food for more inspiration and tips!
 
Do you make your own baby food? What are your favorite baby food recipes?!  
 
 



10 comments:

  1. You are awesome lady!! I really want to do this when Aaron and I have a baby. Not only is it so healthy, but such a cost savings!! Thanks for sharing!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! I've been waiting for this post. :) We got the ok to start on regular food last week and I don't know where to start! I'm hoping to make some of my own food this weekend to get started. I was going to start with green beans. We'll see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fabulous! love to hear this girl. obviously, i am a ways away from this, but the cost of buying baby food is what deters me the most. i hope i have a garden one day so i can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a baby but found this post super informative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One day, I will definitely be referring to this post! Sounds like a very cost effective alternative to regular baby food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! Saving this post and going to check out your Pinterest board. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Looking so nice. I bet whoever had read this article, will try to make it once for sure. This looks amazing and colorful. Small babies are normally attracted to the products which are colorful and temping. And there is no characteristic in this food that could deviate the mood of any child. Anyways, thanks for sharing this helpful tips to make this delicious baby food. Even I want to have it now! It's going to be a superb night for me today because I will make it for my baby for her birthday in coming week. However, I often find problem in storing these foods whether it will remain fresh and hygienic or not.
    Baby Foods

    ReplyDelete