Monday, February 1, 2016

Road Trip - Louisville, KY

This past weekend we took our first road trip as a family! We went to the QDMA National Convention which was hosted in Louisville, Kentucky!

We've never been able to attend the convention before because it's always been in the summertime during a weekend that we already had plans or Michael was busy with work. So this year when it was announced that it would be during the winter time when Michael was laid off, we decided to take advantage of it. The only thing we were unsure of was the long drive with a baby. But, there was no way I was leaving her in Michigan. (Although I did think about it for 3 seconds) :)

Thursday morning, 4:30am we got up and finished loading up the last minute bags so we could get started on our 8 hour drive. Luckily, Remington was just waking up to eat anyways. So once she was done eating we put her in the car seat and she went right back to sleep. When she woke up, we stopped for breakfast. Some of my family was traveling with us so we met them at iHop. I've only had iHop 3 times before because there isn't any near by our house so I was pretty excited about that. Apparently, so was Remington.
Remington did pretty good the rest of the trip. She took another nap and then I had to get in the backseat and ride with her the rest of the way. I thought I was going to need a barf bag because I was getting so nausea. But the baby was happy so that's all that mattered.
We checked into our hotel room around 2pm (I think). We stayed at a Residence Marriot based on the fact that every room was a large suite and had a mini kitchen, and they gave us a great rate. We were happy with our experience there. After unpacking our million bags, we got ready to go register for the convention and attend the Tailgate dinner.
Remington enjoyed the dinner and expo center. There was all sorts of room for her to run around. She's at the point where she is hard to keep still or keep content in her stroller. She just wants to run. Which means she also wants to fight sleep because she doesn't want to miss out on any opportunities. Sigh.  
By time we got back to the hotel, Remington was fussy and fighting sleep pretty hard. It wasn't until around 11pm that she finally went to sleep. Michael and I crashed as well.
Friday morning, Michael woke up early and went to some seminars. I opted for sleeping in. Eventually the girls (myself, step mom, and sister) plus Ryan made it over to the expo center for the Whitetail luncheon. Again, Remington had no interest in staying in her stroller or being held. She just wanted to run. Look at that grin... stinker pie!
After lunch we headed to the Deer & Turkey Expo to check out all sorts of vendors before we headed back to the hotel to get ready for dinner. By the time we left there, little Miss had again fought sleep and was pure sassy.
Our dinner plans turned into a fiasco and we wound up getting Chinese takeout. I'm pretty sure my "chicken" dish was cat or some other form of Chinese food. Yikes. But that's a whole other story in itself.
Remington again fought sleep until 11pm. Talk about being pooped out. Apparently she wasn't feeling the same.
Saturday morning we had breakfast at the hotel lobby. Remington's expression did not contain as much excitement as iHop. Ha!
After some seminars, another shopping trip around the expo, and lunch, we hung out at the hotel until it was time for the Grand Banquet Dinner where we again spent the majority of our night chasing around our energizer bunny. The only 2 things that kept her mind off running around was these deer mounts and food.  


Around 9:30pm we called for the shuttle and headed back to the hotel to get packed up and ready for our journey home.
Luckily, Remington fell asleep by 10pm. Michael and I were up until almost 11pm packing. A short 4 hours later... Miss sassy pants woke us up at 4:20 to eat. We took advantage of her being up and just started loading everything up to head home. Apparently she was ready to go too because she was wide eyed and busy tailed!
Our venture home did not go as smooth as our road trip down. We made a ton of stops. We listened to a lot of crying and we had to take turns driving to rotate who entertained Remi. But, after nearly 11 hours of driving, we made it home around 4:30pm Sunday evening. And man, were we exhausted!
Overall, it was a nice little road trip! Although it's always nice to be back home! We were kind of bummed we didn't really get to do any sight seeing or touring Louisville, but we were glad we were able to attend our first QDMA National Convention! Maybe next time we will win some prizes!


  1. I can't get over how big she's getting and how you can see her personality!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

  2. You are so brave to take her on that long of a road trip! Sounds like y'all had a great time, though! You've got to tell the Chinese story!

  3. that's so cool that you were able to attend the convention even if you weren't able to do a lot of sightseeing (don't worry, there isn't much here haha). that last picture of her is so precious, sorry she didn't do so great on the way home. good thing she's so cute ;)

  4. Looks like you guys had a wonderful trip! And throughout every post, I just can't get over how cute Remington is!