Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Sunscreen Tips + Remi's Summer Wishlist

The warm weather has finally arrived and I think {knock on wood} it's here to stay! Remi loves being outside and I have mixed feelings about that... it's great fun, yet it's exhausting to chase her around being nearly 30 weeks pregnant! Phew, if that doesn't count as exercise, I don't know what does! ;)




With this being our first summer to truly enjoy outside activities with a little one, I've got a never ending wish list for Remi. (If she could talk, she would tell me she wants these things too, obviously).    So here are a few things that we're loving and wishing for! Hopefully Dada will let us get a few of them soon! ;)

Also, with the summer upon us and beginning to spend lots of time outdoors, it's a given that we need to protect our skin - especially the little ones! I recently read an informative article in Parents Magazine (by Dr. Swanson, a pediatrician at Seattle Children's Hospital) regarding sunscreen tips that I thought would be worth sharing...

+ Look for the term "broad spectrum" on the label. That means the sunscreen will protect against both UVA (skin damaging) and UVB (burning) rays

+ SPF 30 will do. Sunscreens with higher SPF don't increase protection

+ Mineral Sunscreen - active ingredient should be zinc ocide or titanium dioxide. These are physical barriers that are less likely to be absorbed into the skin

+ Avoid sunscreen for babies under 6 months. Instead, keep them out of the sun completely and use a hat, sunglasses, and clothing to protect them

+ Apply sunscreen 20 minutes before sun exposure. Reapply every 1-2 hours as well

+ Avoid spray sunscreens - It's hard to know how thick it's being applied and research is still needed on the possible risks of inhalation

Now onto the fun stuff, I never realized how many options for outdoor toys/entertainment there was for kiddos! Although Remi does seem to stay quite entertained with sticks and stones, I'd still like to get some kids activities for her to enjoy! ;)




Radio Flyer 4-in-1 Trike (or in red) - How cool is this thing?! It can be used for years! Which definitely makes it worth the money!

Inflatable Pool Float (option 1 or option 2) - This summer we are staying in our camper in Nana and Papa Furtah's backyard and they have a pool, so I definitely foresee some pool time fun and one of these floats would be great! Not to mention the price point is less than $13 and of course free shipping with Prime!

Inflatable Pool or Plastic Pool - I'm torn between the inflatable or plastic due to the dogs ruining an inflatable. But I really like the canopy option on the inflatable ones! I also like the idea of inflatable for storage/traveling purposes! For less than $20 I found this or this option.

Waterpark Play Table - More toys for playing in the water and keeping cool! I've heard great things about this and I know Remington would love it!

Reusable Swim Diaper - An alternative to buying disposable swim diapers, I've seen these in Target and liked the "green" initiative to them. Plus, I've heard they work better than disposable. I'm not sure on the sizing. There are plain white ones as well as lots of boy/girl designs offered at both Target and on Amazon.

13 Piece Sand Toys Set or Seaside Sand Baking Set or Seahorse Sand Ice Cream Set - For the beach! Or even the pool! There are so many options for different sand toys both online and in local stores, but all of these Melissa & Doug ones are just too cute!

Sun Protection Hat - We have one that is speedo brand with built in SPF and of course lots of fun ones. There are so many options out there! For all the time spent outdoors, a sun hat with built in sun protection would be great!

Shoes - Miss Sassy Pants won't wear flip flops because of the piece that goes in between her toe. She has some crocs, however they just don't stay on her feet well and she trips a lot. When she wears her tennis shoes with socks, her feet sweat and then she gets mad and tries to take them off. Yet she refuses to walk around barefoot. Talk about high maintenance! I've heard Natives shoes are great (not so much the price). I'm on the lookout for a durable yet universal sandal that will allow her feet to breathe like these or these. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Gazillion Bubble Machine - Even though we have some cheap bubbles from the dollar store, who wouldn't want Gazillion Bubble Machine awesome bubble machine?!

Flamingo Dress - For a coverup over her cute little Flamingo Swimsuit of course!

Do you have any recommendations for summer necessities for toddlers?! A few of these items I had saved from fellow bloggers, it's so helpful to share and learn with each other on this motherhood journey! 

Linking up with my fav southern gal, Jessi for What's Hap-pinning Wednesday!

6 comments:

  1. This is perfect!!!! We're going to the bay this weekend so I'm excited to see how Andi does with the water now that she's older! :) Excellent timing on the sunscreen tips too! Thanks for linking up - muah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! Logan LOVES his water table and I've got my eye on a pool float too. If you find some sandles/summer shoes that you/Remi like, let us know! I'm on the hunt for some too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The water table is something my nieces and nephew loved - great investment!! Thanks for those sunscreen tips - I think it's important for adults too! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  4. the inflatable pools look so fun! i kind of want one for myself. and so many things i didn't know about sunscreen, crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Water tables are always a hit! Good info on the sunscreen too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't mind an inflatable pool to float around it! Do they make one in adult sizes?! I love all your snaps of little miss playing outside! And go mama for chasing her around at 30 weeks. That's impressive!

    ReplyDelete