Thursday, June 16, 2016

Life Lately: 5th Week of RV Living

Prepare for word and picture heavy post with a side of down right honest reality... 

I can't believe we're on our 5th week of living in our RV! These last few weeks aren't anything of what I envisioned it would be... I thought I'd catch up on reading, do a few sewing projects, visit with friends/family a lot, go out to eat at some restaurants we haven't visited in years, work on Remington's baby book, blog, play outside for hours, give my back a break from giving baths (or get a break in general), spend quality time with Michael in the evenings, etc. However, that's not the case at all. Life seems to be busier. Remi is more needy. I am more pregnant and can't do/go as much as I want to. Evenings are rough and there's no down time to spend with Michael.

Here's the low down of what our lives as the "Gypsy Joy's" has looked like over the past 5 weeks....

OUR HOUSE:
The plan was to leave our house and hopefully be closing on it shortly after we left. In the meantime, we would be together as a family and we would be closer to the area we are looking for a new home which would allow us to look any homes we found we liked. Just over a week after living in the camper, we found out the buyers of our house still didn't have the financing and they decided they would just have to get back in contact with us if/when they had the funding. Great, perfect. We moved out of our house, are now paying for storage, I'm having another baby soon, and the sale on our house fell through.

WHERE WE'VE BEEN STAYING:
The first 3 weeks we were actually staying in a relative's backyard. Which meant we only had electric and a tank of water. Which means we really have to watch how much water we use. A tank of water typically would last us a week. That's without taking showers, no dishes besides bottles/sippy cups, and brushing our teeth. So every single day we would have to drive to my Mom's to shower. And every Sunday, we would have to drive to dump our waste tank and refill our fresh water tank.

The 4th week, we moved locations to an actual campground near Howell that was less than 10 minutes from Michael's work. We had full hookup (water, sewer, electric) and let me tell you, it made our lives SO much easier!

This week is being spent at another campground about 20 miles from Flint. Again, we have water, sewer, and electric so that makes things easier.

Today, we are checking out and headed to a different campground for an actual camping trip on Lake Huron (hello beach!) with family for Father's Day weekend.

Next week, we don't know where we are staying. 

WHAT HAVE WE DONE BESIDES CAMP:
Celebrated mine and Michael's birthdays. Went to a splash pad for the first time. We've went to the Zoo. Rode Nana and Papa Furtah's golf cart. Went to a friend's baby shower that turned into a surprise wedding. Gabriella's 1st Birthday Party. Helped Nana and Papa plant their garden. Remi with to the Dr. (swollen lymph node in her groin and a bad breakout of eczema). Visited Aunt Starr and Alexa (and their kitties). Gotten ice cream. Took a walk on the beach for the first time (wasn't expecting her to run in up to her knees so we didn't have a swimsuit on). Lots of trips to Meijer's and Target. Lots of walks, trips to the park, and water bucket play time.

REMINGTON'S SCHEDULE (AKA SLEEP):
When we lived at home, we were happily sleeping through the night. Going to bed by 7:30-8pm and waking up between 6:30-7:30. Baby in her crib, Mama in her bed, dogs gated off on the other side of the house. Perfection. Then we moved into the camper.... Bam. Throw that all out the window. Mornings are rough. She rarely wakes up happy anymore. She fights nap-time HARD. Therefore, she takes a late nap and then stays up until almost 10pm every night. Through the night she's waking up several times screaming and I usually wind up just bringing her back to our bed. I'm not sure if it's the change or a coincidence of teething... regardless, it has me about to lose my mind.

THE DOGS:
I knew the dogs were going to be the biggest obstacle. They don't like Remi and we're all in a small space. Not a good combo. Sandy is always growling at Remington. Their barking, running, growling, etc. always wake her up. They bring a lot of dirt inside the camper. They smell. They've brought in ticks (found one on Remi one morning so we know it had to have come from the dogs overnight). I have to put things on the furniture to keep them off it. Jack doesn't let me in the bedroom at night so we have to lock him out. Then he paces around and whines half the night. If I put a gate/barricade of things up, he knocks it down/crawls/jumps it. The list goes on, but the moral of the story is... They drive me nuts. Therefore, they stay outside 90% of the day because that's about the only way we're all going to survive.

When we stayed in the Furtah's backyard, we let the dogs run free around the yard. Until we caught Jack in the road chasing vehicles twice and a third time I witnessed him almost get hit by a truck. Then Sandy was digging holes in the yard. So we chained them up. Now that we're at campgrounds, they have to be chained up or on a leash at all times. And you have to pick up their poop.

SEEING MICHAEL DAILY:
Besides the last two winters during layoff season, this is the first time we've spent more than 2 days a week living together. Silly me for thinking that having Michael around would mean I would get a break. (No, I'm not saying I don' Remington has spent way too many days and nights solely with me, therefore she only wants me 90% of the time. Constantly picking her up, getting up/down off the floor with her, chasing her around outside is just making this exhausted preggo Mama even more exhausted). Since Michael is used to just getting out of work and doing his own thing where ever he is at, he doesn't really know what she needs or what to do with her or what he can do to help me. Plus some nights he works late or has a longer drive home and when he gets there, he just wants to relax. Story of my life. Sometimes he would literally just sit on his phone while I was trying to clean up dinner, get Remington ready for bed, wash dishes, pack his lunch, etc. But, since this is a learning process for all of us, we've talked about it (read: I've had several meltdowns) and our night time routine has improved. I feel like I'm still telling him what to do some days because he doesn't typically ask what he can do to help, but all in all, I have to remind myself that living in an RV and bouncing around from place to place isn't a normal family life. It's hard to create a lifestyle and routines for all of us right now. Especially seeing as living together full time is new for all of us. I'm just thankful that we are able to spend more time together than usual, Remington gets to at least see her Dad a few hours a day (even though she still chooses to hang on my leg), and we can give each other a kiss good morning/good night daily.

PREPARING FOR BABY #2:
To say I'm unprepared for our new baby is a complete understatement. The thought of all the things I'd like to do gives me complete anxiety. Not to mention all the the things I had intended to do over the last few months that haven't been accomplished. It kind of makes me sad now that I don't have a nursery that I've been creating for this baby boy/girl. Within the next few weeks I hope to dig some stuff out of storage, buy any additional necessities, and try to get prepared the best that I can. I should probably think about packing a hospital bag as well. Oh, and maternity pictures.

If you made it through all that, go get yourself an ice cream cone (and have one for me). I realize I sound like a negative Nancy at most some points. I'm not trying to throw myself a pity party, I'm just being honest. This hasn't been easy. Yes, I am riding the struggle bus almost daily. Yes, I am trying to make the best of things. Yes, I know this too shall pass. Overall, it sure hasn't been an easy adjustment, and things certainly haven't went as planned, but we're making the best of it. 

Do you have any questions or curiosity about our current RV living situation?!


Snack time in our jammie's

First time at a beach 




Camping in Highland, MI

Bath time in an RV

Gabriella's 1st Birthday Party

Dee & Dana's Surprise Wedding! 

High School GF's with our kiddos!

First time at a splash pad!





10 comments:

  1. Oh mama. You are super woman! Tuckers sleep turns into pure shit when we camp, so I think that is just a thing. And I will say when Tucker was Remi's age we had a huge sleep issue. Like up multiple times per night, sleeping in the recliner a few times a week. This age is tough but it gets better. It is one of those "the days are long but the years are short" periods that will be over before you know it. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ladyyyy so much stress! I have my fingers crossed for you that you are able to sell the house and find one you love soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure living in an RV is definitely not easy, especially with a baby and a baby on the way but I am praying you're able to sell your house and fine another one you love soon so you can just relax! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could come over and watch Remi while you put your feet up, girl. I can relate in a way to Michael being so tired. Jordan is an electrician and works a very physically demanding job outside in the heat or cold, and when he gets home he just wants to sit. It can be hard, and I'm not even chasing a toddler around all day while pregnant! I think it's good to get it off your chest and that doesn't mean you're negative. It means you're having a rough time right now. The house thing totally sucks. It would be stressful to have to watch your water like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine how stressed you must be, girl!! Hope the hubs can learn how to help out a little more. We have that issue at our house too! Thinking of you. BTW You look gorgeous! Love that floral dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are my hero, how are you doing all this with a new baby on the way!?!? PS, we've been putting offers in on houses so I'm enjoying hearing your experience as a seller. Your daughter is getting too beautiful btw, absolutely too beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless your heart!! You will get through this & you'll be stronger in the end, but it sounds exhausting right now. Hopefully things make a turn for the better & things will start falling into place for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are NOT a negative Nancy, this is real life crap, lol! Hugs to you, wish I could come spend a week with you to give you a break!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are superwoman! Seriously, I have no idea how you are surviving. Praying things get easier for you soon! And maternity pictures...something I have completely forgotten about!

    ReplyDelete
  10. After reading this, I really feel for you. There seem to be both pros and cons but it does seem like a struggle. I feel awful that the sale of your home fell through and all of this really may have been for nothing. But, you and your family have been out having adventures and making great memories!

    Liza Pilon @ Prairie City RV

    ReplyDelete