Thursday, March 2, 2017

February + Update on Breastfeeding

In true cliche fashion - I can't believe it's March already! At the end of the month, we will have a TWO year old! Say it isn't so! 😅 😢

February was a pretty busy month for me considering I've been a homebody since Mason was born while battling PPD and anxiety. Thankfully, I've been feeling better (most days) and having Michael home on layoff allowed me a little time to myself (much needed). As much as I dislike admitting that I need a break from the kids, it's definitely good for all of us. In addition to Michael and I's first weekend getaway, Mason turning 6 months old, and taking a day trip to Frankenmuth, here is a few other things that's been going on in our neck of the woods...

We had a few showings on the house (first in months). Had two offers. Accepted one offer. Only for it to fall through due to financing the day before the inspection was scheduled. Another huge bummer with our experience of selling this place. We're planning on starting some renovations soon that will hopefully help sell the house this year. Fingers crossed.

Today marks one month since I've nursed Mason. The little bugger wouldn't stop biting while nursing and I just couldn't deal with that. I feel bad that I "gave up" so easily, but I just couldn't find another string of patience in my bones. Since then, I've been pumping and bottle feeding. Which I said I wasn't going to do... but here I am doing it anyways. It wasn't so bad when Michael was home from work because he would help take care of the kids while I pumped. But now that he's back to work, I have to really plan around the kids schedules. Which means waking up at 5am to pump before they wake up and staying up after bedtime to pump after they're asleep. My afternoon session depends on the kids... either when they nap or while they are content playing. Often times is interrupted by a screaming child or someone doing something they shouldn't be. Needless to say, pumping isn't easy on top of taking care of two kids and I'm not sure how long I'll put forth the effort. Within the last week my supply has dropped so rather than dip into my freezer stash, I decided to supplement with formula rather than quit all together for now. (This article is so true - it doesn't have to be ALL or NOTHING with BF). I've been mixing a pitcher of formula and then adding an ounce to every bottle. For now, it's somewhat working out and I'll continue to try my best to provide BM for the baby. Just for clarification, I am not against formula - I just don't want to spend the money if I don't have to! As of now, I'm saving us roughly $200 a month which honestly we couldn't really afford. I sometimes wonder if I should go back to trying to nurse, but hot damn, the thought of being bit again (and again and again) just doesn't seem worth it!


Mason has graduated from the baby tub and now both babies get their bath together. Which is nice for me to only have to do one bath time and "kill two birds with one stone"!

Remington and I went to the farm to bake sugar cookies with Aunt Joann. She loved using the mini rolling pin and the cookie cutters. She also loved eating the dough and I had to stop her from shoving handfuls in her mouth!

Mason had his second haircut! This one was a little more in depth considering we went to my Mom's salon this time, plus we cut a lot more off overall. His first haircut was more like a bang/ear trim. He did good sitting still! Remington of course got jealous when I was holding him so Daddy had to finish holding him.


I confess... we don't really celebrate Valentine's Day in our house. However, we did wear red/pink and take a somewhat cute picture of the little ones. I have to admit, it amazes me how people treat this holiday like a mini Christmas morning for kids.

We've been trying to spend some time outside as much as possible when it's nice out. I've taken the kids on a run a few times which has been refreshing (contrary to my hips killing me afterwards). Remi loves being outside and definitely has no fear of getting dirty. Mason isn't a huge fan of the fresh air/wind blowing in his face. He gasps for air and snorts. It's so funny.
 



My Mom asked me to be the maid of honor in her wedding! She gave my sister and I some delicious cookies to pop the question. Her and Greg are getting married on August 18, 2018! I assumed I would be a bridesmaid but I definitely wasn't expecting to be her MOH! So I'm super excited for that!


I've been able to take a few hours to myself twice this month (thank you Michael!) and I was able to catch up with a couple girlfriends! One night a group of us went out for dinner and drinks. This group of us has been friends for nearly two decades!! Another day a group of gal's celebrated Meg's baby shower! It's always nice to catch up on some girl time.


Overall, it's been a pretty good month! Looking forward to what March brings us (hopefully warmer weather!) and celebrating Remington's 2nd Birthday!

💕 Julie


5 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you said b'feeding isn't all or nothing, because its true!! I did the same thing with my oldest at his age. I was able to still breastfeed longer, but it wasn't consuming my life. I know I've said it before, but I am SO proud of how you've stuck with it, not many people would have. And when your kiddos are much older, you will be so proud of yourself for sticking with it. :)

    Those cookies are awesome!!! How exciting to be her MOH!!

    I'm glad you've gotten some time away, it's so important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. We've ended up doing a combination of formula and nursing with I think all of our babies eventually because my supply just can't keep up for long. I have a tough time with that, not only because I'm cheap and hate buying formula, but also because nursing is a very emotional thing for me and I like it. It seems like a big deal to wean or supplement but you honestly won't ever think about it a year from now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you have been feeling better lady! Sorry to hear about the house, but it'll happen...I know it will! And glad you got to spend some time with your girlfriends - how fun!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you're starting to feel more like yourself! That picture of the two of them in the bathtub is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did i miss this post? Yay for you making these a little easier with BF.You are seriously my hero when it comes to those two precious kiddos! Yay for girl time and for the upcoming MOH duties and wedding. I love a good wedding haha at our age I feel like they are few and far between. Go schedule that massage girlfriend and join me tonight for bachelor finale! Muah!

    ReplyDelete